We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join us!
Fidelity's Workplace Solutions (WS) Digital Platforms Technology team designs, develops, implements, and supports WS's suite of Digital products and services. The Digital Platforms development team focuses on delivering innovative solutions that meet the needs of our customers. Our systems professionals thrive, with a steadfast dedication to innovation, which champions a culture of continuous improvement and significant achievement. We see ourselves as a vital link to Fidelity's customers. This is a fast-paced group that is using ground-breaking technologies to build powerful tools and outstanding user experiences for our customers, using Java-based technologies.
You will serve as a Principal Software Engineer who will play a key role on a Scrum team and within Digital Platforms Technology. You will work closely with the Squad Lead, Scrum Master, Systems Analyst, Quality Assurance, Architects and other Developers, to craft, build, test, and deliver the features that make up Fidelity's Digital experiences. You will also be expected to provide guidance and mentoring to the other Developers within the wider Digital Platforms Technology team.
The Expertise You Have
The Skills You Bring
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Robust critical thinking skills coupled with a desire for growth, to learn and to engage with peers in technical and design discussions
- Proven experience in communicating technical needs and capabilities to non-technical team members, product owners, and partners
- Ability to utilize a long-term mentality to help produce scalable, maintainable solutions
- Passion to provide guidance on standard methodologies and mentoring support to the other Developers within the wider Digital Platforms Technology team
- 8+ years of experience, with a focus in financial services applications
The Value You Deliver
- A sense of humor
- Experience collaborating in a team environment to develop, deploy, and support key applications and features
- A demonstrable understanding of the Agile software development methodology
- Extensive experience decomposing sophisticated business problems into creative, efficient, and scalable solutions
- Proficiency with server-side/mid-tier languages, frameworks, libraries, and related technologies: Java EE, Apache Tomcat, Spring MVC/Spring Boot, Logback, SLF4j, Maven
- Exposure to AWS or Azure cloud platforms desired
- Appreciation for and alignment to standard methodologies regarding object-oriented design, coding standards, RESTful service consumption and integration, common design patterns, secure application development, and test coverage
- Your familiarity with the following will be a plus:
- DevOps concepts governing SCM, continuous integration, monitoring, and deployment processes
- Enterprise application architecture patterns and orchestration frameworks such as Apache Camel
- Client-side unit testing frameworks and test runners like Jasmine and Karma
- Docker containerization and AWS cloud deployment and application management via the AWS console
- AWS certification(s)
- The W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and their implementation
- Extensive knowledge of internet, mobile, and application architecture, as well as current and emerging technologies
- Full grasp of the software development process including analysis, design, coding, system and user testing, problem resolution and planning
- Use of formal methods (traditional structured or Agile/iterative) for delivering new or enhanced applications, identify and communicating systems development processes and developing work you're doing associated with the respective phases of the lifecycle
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups, both in person and virtually, in a constructive and collaborative manner
- Strong analytical skills and ability to tackle issues and work through ambiguous situations by making timely decisions based on facts, knowledge, experience and judgment
- Can communicate in various settings; one-on-one, small and large groups, with peers, and senior management
- Skilled at influencing team members and external groups
- Proactively navigates the organization in order to accomplish tasks
- Willingness to work on multiple efforts simultaneously
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Desire to be organized, highly responsive and committed to quality
At Fidelity, we are focused on making our financial expertise broadly accessible and effective in helping people live the lives they want. We are a privately held company that places a high degree of value in creating and nurturing a work environment that attracts the best talent and reflects our commitment to our associates. We are proud of our diverse and inclusive workplace where we respect and value our associates for their unique perspectives and experiences. Find your Fidelity at fidelitycareers.com.
Fidelity Investments is an equal opportunity employer.
We believe that the most effective way to attract, develop and retain a diverse workforce is to build an enduring culture of inclusion and belonging.
Fidelity will reasonably accommodate applicants with disabilities who need adjustments to participate in the application or interview process. To initiate a request for an accommodation, contact the HR Leave of Absence/Accommodation Team by sending an email to accommodations @fmr.com, or by calling 800-835-5099, prompt 2, option 2.